By Mike McGovern
Guinea is wealthy in assets, yet its everyone is a few of the poorest on the earth. Its political scenario is polarized through fiercely aggressive ethnic teams. guns circulation freely via its lands and throughout its borders. And, ultimately, it truly is nonetheless convalescing from the oppressive regime of Sékou Touré. McGovern argues that whereas Touré’s reign used to be not often peaceable, it was once successful—often via hugely coercive and violent measures—at setting up a collection of sturdy nationwide inclinations, that have saved the state at peace. Exploring the ambivalences of up to date Guineans towards the afterlife of Touré’s reign in addition to their abiding feel of socialist team spirit, McGovern sketches the paradoxes that undergird political stability.
Read Online or Download A Socialist Peace?: Explaining the Absence of War in an African Country PDF
Similar war & peace books
Among struggle and Politics is the 1st publication size research of battle within the considered one of many twentieth-century's most crucial and unique political thinkers. Hannah Arendt's writing used to be essentially rooted in her knowing of warfare and its political value. yet this portion of her paintings has unusually been missed in foreign and political thought.
This new paperback variation of Justifying Interventions in Africa incorporates a new preface written via Professor Annika Björkdahl from Lund University. Analysing the UN interventions in Liberia, Burundi and the Congo, Wilén poses the query of the way you'll stabilize a nation via exterior intervention with out destabilizing sovereignty.
The Israeli–Palestinian clash has led to the longest-standing refugee challenge on the planet at the present time. according to new archival learn and interviews with surviving individuals, this booklet considers one early attempt to unravel that concern whereas supplying useful classes for present efforts at clash answer within the center East and in different places.
Whilst initially released in 1984, this e-book used to be the 1st exact research of terrorism in eire. It assesses the location in eire after a decade or extra of violence within the North and checks a number of the assumptions in regards to the nature of terrorism and discusses the matter in a geo-political context.
- Yearbook of International Humanitarian Law Volume 18, 2015
- Post-War Statebuilding and Constitutional Reform: Beyond Dayton in Bosnia (Rethinking Peace and Conflict Studies)
- L'humanité n'est plus humaine. (ESSAI ET DOC) (French Edition)
- On That Day, Everybody Ate: One Woman's Story of Hope and Possibility in Haiti
- The Promise of Reconciliation?: Examining Violent and Nonviolent Effects on Asian Conflicts: 20 (Peace & Policy)
- Physicians and the Peace Movement
Extra info for A Socialist Peace?: Explaining the Absence of War in an African Country
A Socialist Peace?: Explaining the Absence of War in an African Country by Mike McGovern
- Read e-book online The Giraffe: Biology, Ecology, Evolution and Behaviour PDF
- Download PDF by Robin Robertson: Vegan Planet, Revised Edition: 425 Irresistible Recipes With